Our church magazine The Messenger is usually published monthly.
Various articles which have appeared in The Messenger will be published here from time to time.
We are now publishing extracts from the magazine in Adobe PDF format. You will need Abobe Reader to view them.
December 2015 / January 2016
- The Mackenzies are moving on (rather a long way!).
- What do Remembrance Day promises mean at Christmas?.
- We fondly remember Roy Kent.
- Kentwell Hall: recreating Tudor times.
- ...Plus many Bazaar pictures.
- Remembrance: what it means today.
- ...and a different perspective from Berlin.
- Poverty and Hope in El Salvador.
- Stan Portch : church hopping on my retirement.
- A stately home relives wartime cuisine.
- Equipping Africans to see clearly for life and work.
- What being a Church Member means.
- Go North for an eye-opening holiday.
- All you need to know about our Church Bazaar.
- Barleylands and Harvest Café-Church in pictures
- Harvest Cafe Church.
- Peace: not a cause for cowards.
- Remembering Joan Orchard: a gracious lady.
- Charles Steynor: our friend from Brentwood.
- Our Café Church: a new way of worshipping.
- Our Synod Big Day Out at Westminster College.
- Anyone for Open Air Ping Pong? – helps the brain!.
- Climate Change: Preparing for the Paris Summit..
- The Millennium targets for 2015: how have we done?.
- In Hebron good fences make good neighbours. Really?.
- Theatre Ghosts of the past.
- Jim Mitchell: Looking after those old family photos.
- Kenton Church: Lay Preachers’ Day at Westminster College .
- Building up a better future for Nicaragua.
- Alan Lough: My life as a marine surveyor.
- Why we need to look after our bees.
- Charities set up their stalls again in Mayflower Hall.
- Dance in our Sunday morning worship.
- Swing band night at St Johns.
- Kenton church on being in a passion play.
- Simon Mynott: Looking back over 50 years.
- Women's World Day of Prayer from the Bahamas.
- Betty Davis: I sang with 3000 in Australia.
- Easter: an end to the dark days.
- Lent Reflections on Christian Discipleship.
- Lessons in Worship from those with learning difficulties.
- Fairtrade Fortnight: Why we should support fairtrade.
- ARK brings her passengers to land.
- Endpiece: Jesus in the Eye of the Storm.
- The Magna Carta and the Christian message.
- Len Quarterman reminisces about his life in Billericay.
- Storing and aquiring stuff in the loft.
- Essex Savers: progress after one year.
- Bill Christian takes us on a tour of North Africa.
December 2014 / January 2015
- Revd Ruth Mitchell is inducted.
- Updating the 'Little Town of Bethlehem' story.
- Christmas rhymes and legends.
- The government doubles your giving to Kenya.
- Bazaar, Remembrance and Choir pictures.
- The McMillan Coffee Morning.
- Samuel from Rwanda ministers in wickford.
- Nursery Rhymes with surprising meanings.
- Helping HARP at Christmas.
- Mary Young remembered.
- Two perspectives on remembrance.
- The Essex Show - The Churches at Barleylands.
- Looking for the meaning of Justice.
- Psalms Ancient & Modern.
- Scotland: we couldn't do without you.
- 'The Endeavour' one of the great 'Little Ships'.
- The Billericay Youth Choir Summer Concert.
- Chernobyl children visit.
- Kathleen Martin remembered.
- Ruth Mitchell on accepting the call.
- Being an Olympic Games Maker
- A night with the Street Pastors.
- John Thornton our early pioneer Pastor.
- Friends meet after 70 years.
- The I AM sayings of Jesus.
- Paralysed Clarence still making music.
- Christian Aid helps those in violent Columbia.
- Farming difficulties in Palestine.
- Faiths gather for Rose D'Amato thanksgiving.
- The South Woodahm Ferrers Passion play.
- Charles lodemore - an appreciation.
- Jos Knightley How i came to Bilericay.
- Charity Yable sale report
- An Easter Meditation.
- Memories of Dennis Jordan.
- Going Bananas for fairtrade.
- The Woman's Prayer Day.
- Justice for the forgotten - Garth Hewitt sings in Billericay.
- John Jackson: Me and the Outdoors.
- How Schools Ministry teaches the Bible.
- How to fill HHI's container for Zambia.
- Journeying into 2014.
- Rescuing street children in Nicaragua.
- Pearl Johnson: a different Christmas Day.
- Feet made for walking.
December 2013 / January 2014.
- Zimbabwe - poverty and hunger.
- Street Pastors launch in Billericay.
- Simon Houlton the Early Years.
- Hallowe'en: How it came down to us.
- Helping the Southend Homeless.
- Hazel and John Wilkins reach their Diamond Wedding.
- Our Church is the people in it... Meet them.
- The Pastorate Quiet day.
- The Fellowship Group - What they did last Summer
- Ready to offer our Welcome
- Healing - how medicine and Church can work togeher
- Chernobyl children in Billericay again
- Peace in the Holy Land across the divide
- Youth Choir's great concert
- Muriel Lodemore, an Appreciation
- Charity and the Foodbanks
- Good News about Mountnessing Court?
- A walk around the Churches of Eltham
- The Bible as a Miracle of Mathematics
- G8 Summit and real world needs - 'Bread for all'
- John Clare:Poet of the Anglian landscape
- Joan Orchard: Are times better now?
- Muriel Lodemore - a letter
- A poem celebrating Tuesday Coffee
- New Elders
- The Little Baddow Passion
- Behind the scenes: The Antiques Roadshow
- Fabrics and Foundlings
- A Farewell to Trevor, Sue and Joshua
- Sustainability in Action
- Words and Music combine in the best hymns
- The waiting time between Easter and Pentecost
- EASTER EDITION
- A Ugandan farmer on the horsemeat scandal
- Remembering Sheila Undy
- Puzzling out a mystery portrait
- Another Dickens fan
- CTB service of Unity
- Supporting a future for Mountnessing Court
- Mountnessing Court: An innovative project
- Les Bowyer shares his interest in Charles Dickens
- Southend Homeless Project: we pay our Christmas visit
- The New Year's Party pictures
December 2012 / January 2013
- Elizabeth, Zechariah and their son
- Lighthouse: a modern Robin Hood
- Christmas thoughts? We ask readers
- How a Palestinian sees Gaza
- Buttsbury Church, our Advent venue
- Finding God in Prayer
- The Town Crier's Story
- Celebrating 20 Years of Commitment for Life
- Latest from HHI
- Quiet and Noisy Days at Little Baddow
- Remembering Vera Fletcher
- Tuesday Coffee Morning: alive and well!
- Celebrating 20 Years of C for L
- Learning from the old and the young
- Ivy Harvey: A life in Billericay
- Ann Guyers: My weeks on Iona
- Ingatestone celebrations
- Small Groups
July / August 2012
- Rowing in the Jubilee pageant
- A Green Economy: true or false?
- Believing in God at the Barbers.
- ARK being creative on Sunday mornings
- Endpiece: Finding Church in many places
- Lighting the Town Beacon
- Ingatestone URC celebrates 200 years
- Mary Irish on the Meaning of Healing
- Chris Rose on the Amos Trust in Nicaragua
- Stock Free Church at 200 and John Thornton remembered
- The Countryside Restoration Trust, for people and wildlife
- Paul Gambling: Journey of Faith…
- The Porters: return to The Gambia …
- Tragic or Scroungers?
- BYC at RAH…
- Charities Table Sale Pictures
- Our New Elders
- Malaysia calls 'Let Justice Prevail'
- Work for Practical People
- Hotline to Heaven
- Gwen Wilkinson remembered
- Small Groups reports
- Commitment for Life is 20
- Joan of Billericay
- BYC to RAH
- Remembering John Smith
- Endpiece: Still writing letters
- On reading from the King James’s Bible
- We take gifts to the Southend Shelter
- Remembering Marge Dewis (read her poem)
- The container that reached Zambia
- Helping Great Ormond Street
- Endpiece: Don’t they know Christmas is over?
- In Pictures: Animal Tales... Carol Service... New Year’s Party...
December 2011 / January 2012
- Looking at Essex Churches
- Stories and Reports from India
- Remembering Joan Tomalin
- What our American visitors found out...
- Shoot out at the Bazaar!!!
- Anniversaries, Memories and Remembrance
- Life as an Army Chaplain
- Missionary Boxes
- 'Praying Hands'
- Faith in Science
- The bible on debt and poverty
- John Baron MP calls in to the Fellowship
- Billericay Choral celebrates 40 years
- More church memories
- Our Assembly Moderator talks of God’s timescale
- Forty years on in Billericay…
- Visiting the home of HHI…
- Youth Choir’s Summer Concert
July & August 2011
- 'Recording' Injustices in the Holy Land
- Sowing Seeds
- Life Changing Treatment
- Remembering.... Cyril and Eric
- The Emmaus Course - an invitation.
- A look at St George
- The Billericay Educational Trust
- The Gideons
- Christian Aid's Nicaraguan coffee project
- Chilean theme to Woman's World Day of Prayer
- National Childrens Homes - Betty Day's connection
- The Talking Newspaper
- The Charities Table Sale
- The Mayflower Ladies ‘Great Essex Feast’
- Ugandan Wholefoods come to Billericay
- Alwyn Knight reports to us on the life of Palestinians in the Hebron area.
- A new Bishop of Chelmsford
- Nester remembered
- Temptations and Lent
- Conversation about Worship
- The Sisters of Sinai
- A friend to all
- News about Emmaus
- A Prayer for trees
- Nativity Drama pictures: Chocks Away in a Manger
- We talk to the Lodemores
- The King James Bible: out of date?
- A Visit to Westminster College
- Trevor Jamison: Getting the most out of your daydreams
- Christmas giving and singing
December 2010 / January 2011
- Trevor Jamison: Carols - Getting the Christmas Message?
- Achieving the Millennium Goals
- A Peace Fair for One World Week
- Bazaar Pictures and all the Christmas Events
- Trevor Jamison: What makes a good church
- What we learned at Debden
- Imtiah Khan talks about the London City Mission
- Endpiece: Being different from the Crowd
- Report on Barleylands
- Trevor Jamison: Clearing the Ground for Evangelism
- What the Ejected did at Billericay and Eyam
- Talking to Ann Mynott
- Trudy Cox and St Luke’s Hospice
- ‘Conversations with Jesus’ explored at Quiet Day
- Elias Chacour: Working for Peace in the Holy Land
- Thoughts on Dives and Lazarus
- Young People address the URC Assembly
- Endpiece: A good Harvest for everyone
July / August 2010
- Trevor Jamison: The Meaning of Sacrifice
- Naboth’s Vineyard: The Movie
- The Cater Museum celebrates 50 years
- Centrepoint helps to heal the broken society
- Endpiece: God’s politics – not a Sunday thing
- A way of Counting our Blessings… HHI in India
- Trevor Jamison: A Hung Church
- John Lovett looks back
- The Billericay Youth Choir moves forward
- Coastwatch: Eyes along the Coast
- Endpiece: Sins can be overcome
- Trevor Jamison: Letter to our next Prime Minister
- Exploring Neasden Temple
- Fred Kaan: a radical modern hymn writer
- Hagar and her place in the Old Testament Story
- Endpiece: Christian Aid Week is faith in action
- Peggy Nisbet Remembered
- Trevor Jamison: Blessed are the flexible?
- Women of the Cameroons lead Day of Prayer
- How we are supporting the people of Gaza
- A visit from Richard Jones of Biblelands
- Our hymn singing – your ideas welcome.
- Endpiece: An Innocent Man is put to Death
- Trevor Jamison: Annual Church Meetings: no navel gazing!
- ARK puts questions to the Minister
- John Marsh, Moderator, challenges us to pilgrimage
- An Appreciation of Barry Davis, our Organist
- Endpiece: Toward a fairer society
- Trevor Jamison: Lent comes before Easter
- We talk to Ken Woods
- Disabled create a Horticultural Project in Bangalore
- Hylands House and Gardens: on our doorsteps!
- Youth Choir Concert We host the CTB service
December 2009 / January 2010
- Trevor Jamison: Nativity Plays and Real History
- The Real Meaning of the First Christmas
- Ibrahim Jaber: A Christmas Message from Bethlehem
- Maurice Stockdale: My memories of Christmas in Yorkshire
- In pictures: Our Dickensian Bazaar
- Recalling Bible Stories: What our memories really tell us
- We host the CTB Pilgrimage, and get to know the real Calvin
- Dropping in on Ann and Robert Elliott
- St Paul: Persecutor, Convert and Missioner
- In pictures: Scenes from our Church Weekend
- Job: Our book of the month
- What we got from our quiet day
- Well, what would you say to a politician if he rang you ?
- In pictures: The Barleylands scene. How we celebrated Harvest
- Survey Analysis: What are our real Wants and Needs?
- CTB Churches on Pilgrimage: Litergy reflecting our lives
- Working for reconciliation in the Holy Land
- In pictures: Chernobyl children at Stockbrook, School Concert, the New Kitchen
July / August 2009
- What next for the Holy Land?
- Trevor Jamison: The Meaning of 'Born Again'
- A family history leads back to America
- The Creation Story in pictures
- Happy Anniversary John Calvin
- Question Time looks at the Bible
- Opportunities for Christian Learning and Serving
- Kate Hackett reflects on her time with the Joint Pastorate
- Christian Aid campaigns against corporate Tax-dodging
- The Fellowship goes to Valentines
- Endpiece: The Spirit challenges us at Pentecost
- A Novel set in Guatemala
- Trevor Jamison: CCTV and Christ the unseen Guest
- Brian Porter returns to the Gambia
- Barabbas and Simon the Zealot - A play explores their roles
- Celebrating Traidcraft after 30 years
- The Good Friday walk - a Community event
- Endpiece: Caravaggio paints Doubting Thomas
- Billericay, the G20 and the world Credit Crunch
- Hosea: The e-mails revealed
- Memories of Andrew Forde, including the Poem
- Churches Together: Witnessing to and serving the Town
- St Paul at Holy Redeemer
- Question time with The Moderator
- The vulnerable and ourselves
- St Nicholas Church Leipzig: Home of Bach, and peaceful demonstration
- Reopening Valentines Mansion
- Trevor Jamison: Which bread of life?
- A Christmas visit to the Southend Night Shelter
- Beryl and Colin: Their Story
- Alf Poge: A Tribute
- Trevor Jamison: Do we really read our Bibles?
December 2008 / January 2009
- Pictures from our Musical Bazaar
- Report from Zimbabwe
- The Minister: Christmas celebrations can peak too early
- An important Church meeting
- Our Church Weekend: How Pictures can move us more than words.
- OctoberFest: Sight and Sound in full measure
- The fifth Mark of Mission and the plastic bottles
- The remarkable true story of a Chinese Christian
- A Yorkshireman looks back on his life in Essex
- Life in Palestine under Occupation today
- The Voyage of the Mayflower inspires a new cantata
- My experience of death made me into an evangelist
- Learning about the Faith of Islam
- An approach to Bible Reading
- Our American friends discover 'Oneness in Christ in Venezuela'
- Congratulations! You've just won a cruise!
- A Final Look at Climate Change – for the time being!
- A Prize-winning short story
- John Henry Newman and 'Lead Kindly Light'
- Speaking our Faith
- What the Bible says about Climate Change
- Our Minister in America
- Violent Times in Gaza
- Announcing our Lent Study Course
December 2007/January 2008
- A Christmas Message
- Will the Age of Gold really come round again?
- The Year in Pictures